PhD Forum 2014
21st May 2014
Radisson Blu Olümpia Hotel, Tallinn
The EAA PhD Forum, launched in 2013, is an initiative of the EAA to help and promote PhD students in accounting. The PhD Forum is part of the EAA Annual Congress. Only PhD students that will attend the congress are able to register for the PhD Forum.
The PhD Forum will take place in the Olümpia Convention Centre on Wednesday 21st May 2014 from 08:30 to 12.30hrs, just before the opening session of the EAA Annual Congress 2014 (www.eaa2014.org).
The PhD Forum is a great opportunity for PhD students to network and gain insight into academic accounting research and its environment through the speakers. It may also provide information as to how to establish contacts for entering the job market. The Forum is open to PhD students pursuing research in any topic areas (financial accounting, managerial accounting, audit, tax, etc.) and using any research method (empirical-archival, analytical modelling, behavioural, etc.) related to the EAA.
- To foster networking among PhD students
- To increase the visibility of the EAA within the community
- To complement the EAA offer in terms of doctoral activities
08:30 - 09:00 Welcome coffee
09:00 - 09:15 Welcome address
- Ann Jorissen, EAA President, University of Antwerp, Belgium
- Toomas Haldma, EAA 2014 Congress Chair, University of Tartu, Estonia
Update on EAA Doctoral Activities
- Thomas Jeanjean, ESSEC, France
- Thorsten Sellhorn, WHU, Germany
09:15 - 10:30 Plenary session - Keynote speech "What is Relevant Research in Accounting?"
- Salvador Carmona, IE Business School, Spain (presentation)
- Luzi Hail, The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania, U.S.A. (presentation)
10:30 - 11:00 Coffee break
11:00 - 12:30 Breakout sessions (click on session title for more information)
1. Accounting PhD Job Market in Europe
Speaker: Vivien Beattie, Lancaster University Management School, U.K.
Speaker: Willem Buijink, University of Tilburg, The Netherlands, & EIASM,
Speaker: Michael Erkens, HEC Paris, France (presentation)
2. Doing Qualitative Research in Accounting
Speaker: Chris Chapman, Imperial College London, U.K. (presentation)
3. Empirical Research in Financial Accounting
Speaker: Philip Joos, Tilburg University, The Netherlands (presentation)
4. Linking Theory and Empirics in Accounting Research
Speakers: Robert Göx, University of Zurich, Switzerland & Alfred Wagenhofer,
Graz Karl-Franzens University, Austria (presentation)
12:30 - 12:45 Sandwich lunch
13:00 - 13:40 Congress Opening Session, Estonia Concert Hall
Attendance will be limited to those PhD students and emerging scholars who are registered for the Congress.
Registration to the PhD Forum 2014 can only be done simultaneously with the registration to the EAA Annual Congress 2014 via the online registration system. Please note that you will be asked to send a proof of your PhD status.